Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dairy Free Cinnamon Bread

Alright let's see if my son sleeps long enough for me to actually get this recipe posted.  I first saw this recipe on Sweet as Sugar Cookies which she got from Closet Cooking.  I love cinnamon.  I'm the type of person that always doubles the cinnamon in any recipe that calls for it because I just love the flavor of it.  I was so excited to see that this recipe called for 2 tbsp. of cinnamon!  No such thing as too much cinnamon especially when combined with sugar and made into a bread.  I decided to make this loaf into a dairy free version so I could enjoy a bit more of it with guilt.  This bread not only smelled incredible but turned out really good too.  My husband had no idea it was dairy free and said he could only imagine on how much better it would have been with dairy.  It has to be good if he didn't notice and still enjoyed it.  I think this also would be awesome as muffins.   I did give my bread a swirl or two with a butter knife before popping in the oven which is where the cinnamon is swirled and not layered in the pictures.

Dairy-Free Cinnamon Bread

4 tbsp. dairy free butter (such as 100% organic Smart Balance)
1 c. granulated sugar
2 extra large eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla 
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. almond milk

Filling and Topping:
1 c. light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. cinnamon

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, salt, and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add alternately to the creamed mixture along with the almond milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon together until well mixed. Spoon 1/3 of the batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cinnamon mixture. Repeat the layers twice more, ending with cinnamon on top.  Bake at 350F for 50-55 minutes or until it tests done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let rest in the pan 10 minutes before removing from the pan to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment