Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Spiced Orange Glazed Mini Donuts

I recently bought a mini donuts pan from the mall and was so ready to try out making baked donuts!  My daughter loves donuts, what kid doesn't!  So making a version that wasn't fried was exciting for me.  I added in some of my favorite flavors and made a spiced doughnut flavors like ginger, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice (though the pumpkin pie spice has in nutmeg and ginger I added a bit more of it into the donuts than just what the pumpkin pie spice contributed) and made a glaze using orange juice and powdered sugar.  It turned out really nice.  My daughter loved them and didn't even notice they weren't fried, though she did request chocolate next time.  This recipe was adapted from Cats and Casseroles


Spiced Orange Glazed Mini Donuts

2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. whole milk
2 extra large eggs, beaten
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. vegetable oil


Glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. orange juice

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat doughnut pan with a non-stick spray.  In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Add in milk, eggs, vanilla, and oil. Whisk until well combined. Spoon batter into wells of doughnut pan, filling each 3/4 of the way. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes and then move doughnuts to a cooling rack.  In a bowl whisk together powdered sugar and orange juice. Add a bit more orange juice if glaze is too thick or a bit more powdered sugar if it is too watery. Dip doughnuts in glaze and place back on the cooling rack and allow glaze to set.

Post shared with:
At Home with Haley

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm! I'm getting a craving for donuts now! I have always been a fan of cake donuts too. Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

    ReplyDelete