Monday, March 12, 2012

Blackberry Cobbler

 Where in the world have I been?  It seems that when I'm dieting, exercising and avoiding dairy, white bread products and desserts that I am not quite as excited about cooking and baking like I use to be.  On top of that my daughter has been so sick this winter with pneumonia twice, the flu and even an allergic reaction to penicillin that left her with the worst looking rash I've ever seen over every square inch of her entire little body that was beyond itchy for over a week.  Everyone told me the first year my daughter went to school would leave our household with constant illness but I could never have imagined we'd end up as bad off as we did this winter!  

Anyways, I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things and am hoping to have the energy to start posting again and trying new recipes.  I've made so many delicious meals in the last month that I've been simply too exhausted to even try to make look pretty enough for a picture so it looks like my house is in for some repeats of those tasty recipes.  

I made this recipe this week in honor of Spring and in hopes that it will get here soon.  We could use some warmth, sunshine and fresh air.     

This is a quick, easy throw together blackberry cobbler recipe that I got from Ree Drummond at Food Network.  This takes less than 5 minutes to throw together and can bake while everyone is sitting around eating dinner.  My entire family really enjoyed this last night.

Blackberry Cobbler

1/2 stick melted butter (I use non-dairy butter)
1 1/4 c. + 2 tbsp. sugar
1 c. self rising flour
1 c. almond milk (or regular milk)
2 c. fresh or frozen blackberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart baking dish with butter.  In a medium bowl, whisk 1 cup sugar with the flour and milk. Whisk in the melted butter.  Rinse the blackberries and pat them dry. Pour the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the blackberries evenly over the top of the batter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar over the blackberries. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 1 hour. When 10 minutes of the cooking time remains, sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over the top. Serve with ice cream.  Our new favorite is a coconut milk vanilla ice cream.  Yummy!

Recipe shared with:

Chef in Training 

1 comment: