Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Spiced Pumpkin Cake

I love, love, love pumpkin.  Anything and everything you can make with it, I'll eat it.  I love the pies, cakes, pancakes, puddings, donuts, all of it.  This is one of my favorites that I like to make.  This cake is so moist and delicious.  I love the smell of the pumpkin and cinnamon throughout my house while it bakes.  These work great as muffins too, though I usually just use a bundt pan because it is pretty.  A few years ago I found a recipe in a magazine for a spiced cake and I changed it around and added what I liked, took out what I didn't and just made it more into my own.  I love using orange juice in the glaze, it just really gives it this extra tangy flavor that works so well with the cake.  

Spiced Pumpkin Cake

1 ¾ c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
½ tsp. baking powder
1 ½ c. sugar
½ stick melted butter
1 can of pumpkin puree
2 eggs
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 tsp. grated orange peel

Glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. orange juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and baking powder in a bowl and whisk to remove all lumps and combine.  In a seperate bowl combine the pumpkin puree, eggs, ginger, orange peel and sugar.  Whisk in the melted butter.  Pour the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture and whisk until just combined.  Pour into a sprayed prepared dish like a bundt pan and bake 45-55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.

While cake is cooling whisk together the powdered sugar, half and half, vanilla and orange juice until combined.  If it is too thick add a splash more of orange juice or too thin add a bit more powdered sugar.

Pour over cake and allow glaze to set before serving. 


Post shared with:
Crumbs and Chaos

2 comments:

  1. YUM! This sounds amazing! I love the idea of orange juice in the glaze. I'd like to invite you to share this today at our Seasonal Inspiration party.

    Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos
    www.crumbsandchaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum! I love pumpkin anything and spiced is even better. :) Stumbled!

    ReplyDelete