Thursday, September 1, 2011

BBQ Baby Back Ribs

First, when I say baby back ribs I'm talking about pork.  Pretty much all my favorite BBQ items are all pork.  Pork ribs, pork butt, pork shoulder, pork, pork, pork, yum!  I wasn't sure if I wanted to do these ribs since we don't have our charcoal grill and smoker anymore but I decided to suck it up and give it a shot in the oven and see how they turned out.  To start with you need to remove the membrane off the back of your ribs.  Place them on a large piece of aluminum foil on a baking sheet.  Then generously sprinkle and rub the dry rub into your ribs.  There should be plenty left over for another use.  Allow the ribs to sit in the refrigerator overnight or at least a few hours.  Then you need a really good BBQ sauce.  You can make a homemade one or your favorite store bought.  I'm from a specific part of the South that uses a mustard and vinegar based BBQ sauce.  You can't really get it anywhere else in the entire country.  If you do go to a place that claims to have it, it is wrong, I promise you!  I've tried some of those "mustard vinegar sauces" from BBQ places in Connecticut and Washington state and they are nothing like what we have in South Carolina.  This BBQ sauce is so unbelievably tangy that it takes a very special kind of person to even be able to eat this type of sauce.  Melvin's BBQ in South Carolina has the most magnificent BBQ sauce I've ever tasted.  Not to mention the most amazing BBQ too.  So I did my best to recreate Melvin's Mustard BBQ sauce by memory and came up with such a winner!  I'm not even going to post the recipe for the sauce though because it is my super secret special recipe.  The only recipe I've never really given out and that I am more proud of than almost anything else.  Plus, most people really just cannot appreciate the potency of this sauce and I'd die if someone who wasn't really familiar with this Carolina Yellow tried it and hated it!  These ribs came out amazing and we will definitely be having them more often now that I have a successful baked rib recipe!

Removing the Membrane
Dry Rub:

1 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tbsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Put ribs in aluminum foil and before sealing pour about a cup of BBQ on the ribs.  Bake on 300 degrees for 2 hours.  Then add another cup of BBQ sauce and leave the aluminum foil open and bake another 1 hour.  Allow to rest about 10 minutes before serving.   

Post shared with:
Sweet As Sugar Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment