Thursday, July 21, 2011

Garlic Breadsticks

So I decided I needed to stop making so many desserts all the time.  Of course the problem with that is I immediately just switch to making breads.  Not sure which one is worst for my waistline, homemade breads or desserts.  I'm pretty sure both are equally terrible for me as I tend to eat way too much of them in one sitting!  I made these tonight for the first time.  I was wanting a bread stick like the one you get at Olive Garden and since I'm in Japan I can't really go to Olive Garden so had to make my own.  I think these turned out awesome.  I loved them, so did my husband and kids.  Definitely a home run and will be making these again and again!  Plus my kids loved helping me shape these into bread sticks. 

Breadstick Dough

1 package active dry yeast
4 1/4 c. all-purpose flour,plus more for dusting
3 tbsp unsalted butter,softened
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1 1/4 c. warm water + 1/4 c. 

Topping:

3 tbsp. unsalted butter,melted
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. garlic powder 
Pinch of Italian Seasoning
Make the dough: Place 1/4 cup warm water in the bowl of a mixer; sprinkle in the yeast and set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the flour, butter, sugar, fine salt and 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons warm water; mix with the paddle attachment until a slightly sticky dough forms, 5 minutes.

Knead the dough by hand on a floured surface until very smooth and soft, 3 minutes. Roll into a ball and place in an oiled bowl and cover.  Allow to rise for about 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.  I then turned mine out onto a floured surface and pressed to a square and used a knife to cut long strips in the shape of bread sticks.  I didn't actually measure the size, just guessed how big I wanted them.  Then placed each bread stick on a baking sheet on parchment paper that I sprayed with Pam.  Cover again and allow to rise until almost doubled, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Make the topping by melting the butter and then adding the garlic powder, salt and Italian seasoning into the butter mixture then brushing the bread sticks with it before placing in the oven and right after they come out as well.  Bake approximately 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. My kids and hubby would love these! I need to make them once the temps dip back to normal~

    ReplyDelete