Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hearty Beef & Bean Chili

My husband and I are both from South Carolina.  We now live in Washington because he is in the military.  One of the things we miss the most about the South is the cooking.  So I decided since we clearly can't go "home" for our southern favorites I'd have to learn to cook them myself. One of my favorites is chili.  There is nothing like a big bowl of spicy chili that has you looking for your antacids before the bowl is even empty.  It may be wrong but I believe a truly good bowl of chili should have you beating back the heartburn.  I've tried so many different chili recipes and this one is by far the best I've tried.  I think just tomato based chili's are lacking.  The beer added to it really gets it awesome flavor.  

Beef & Bean Chili 

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onions, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
2 jalepenos, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ lbs. ground beef
1/4 c. chili powder (or to taste)
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1 (12 oz.) beer
1 (28oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes (with juice)
1 (15oz.) can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste

Add olive oil to pan and heat to medium.  Toss in onions, bell pepper, jalapeños, and garlic and some salt and pepper.  Cook for about 5 minutes until starting to soften a bit.  Add in ground beef and cook until brown.  Add in your chili powder, cayenne and cumin and coat your meat mixture and cook a few minutes.  Pour in your beer, tomatoes, and beans.  Let simmer for about 30 minute.  Make sure to taste and add salt if necessary.  Add in the sugar and tomato paste and let cook another 5 minutes.  Serve with your favorite chili toppings.  Make sure to taste your chili before adding in the cayenne, sometimes the jalapeños are spicy enough other times they are more mild and you need that extra kick.  I also like to go heavy on my chili powder too so sometimes I add more than the recipe says, just what I'm in the mood for really.        

2 comments:

  1. I think I used a few different beans when I made this, but this is the best chili ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, presentation presentation, my smothies are poured into a plastic cup or drunk right from the blender!

    ReplyDelete