Thursday, April 7, 2011

Brownie Fudge Pie


I love pie crust and my husband and daughter both love brownies.  So I decided to just combine my two recipes really to make a brownie pie. I make my own crust but of course you could always use store bought.  






This recipe can be done a few different ways.  You can swirl in peanut butter by dropping a few spoonfuls then swirling with a butter knife.  You can add some sort of chips, like chocolate or peanut butter chips too if you like em'.  I prefer to slightly under cook the brownie filling and let it sit and cool completely before eating.  That way it is very rich and like eating fudge.  I made this pie after dinner last night and woke up this morning to find that someone had gotten into it overnight.  Apparently waiting until it cooled completely was too much to ask of my husband and he ate it before it was ready.  So I didn't get my picture of the whole finished pie untouched just with a big slice missing!  I've been using this pie crust recipe for a while now and have had great results. 

Pie Dough:

3 c. flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1 1/2 (12 tbsp.) sticks butter
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. ice cold water

Place the shortening in fridge ahead of time or freezer to get it nice and cold before you prepare the dough.  Dice the butter and place it to the refrigerator. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse a few times to mix. Add the very cold butter and very cold shortening. Pulse a few times until the butter is bitesize. Turn the machine on and slowly add the ice water down the feed tube until the dough begins to form a ball. Dump out on a floured board and roll into a ball.  Divide and press into a flat circle and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll each piece on a well-floured board into a circle.  This makes 2 pie crusts.  The other can be refrigerated a few days or placed in the freezer for later use.  I always spray my pie pan with something like Pam to make sure I can get the crust off the pie pan when it comes slicing time.  Now it is time to blind bake (pre-bake) the dough.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place aluminum foil inside of the dough with dried beans or pie weight on foil to prevent dough from getting bubbles.  Bake about 15 minutes.     
Brownie Filling:

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tbsp. decaf coffee

Kid Tested & Approved!
Adjust oven temp. to 350 degrees. Melt the 2 sticks of butter in a nonstick saucepan over medium-low heat. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Add the sugar, coffee, eggs and vanilla to the saucepan and stir until combined.  I use leftover coffee from my morning but you can add instant coffee instead if you have it.  Add the cocoa, flour, salt and baking powder and whisk, then add chocolate chips and whisk until smooth (but try not to over mix it). Pour into pie crust.  

Now here are the different things you can do.  If you want it fudgy bake uncovered for 30 minutes.  Take out of the oven and let cool slightly until room temp.  Then place in fridge until set.  I serve mine with homemade whip cream.  You can serve with ice cream if you rather.  You can bake it longer, about 45-55 minutes for less fudgy,more brownie like pie.  This way can be served warm.  Just let cool about 10 minutes.  To test if it is done insert knife and see if it comes out clean.  That doesn't apply to the fudgy pie only the more cooked one.  

Whip Cream Recipe:

1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. powdered sugar


I like to use my KitchenAid Mixer for this recipe so I don't have to do much.  I stick the bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer before I make it to get best results but it isn't necessary.  Add heavy whipping cream to bowl and turn on a medium or medium high and let whip until nice and fluffy.  Turn off and add vanilla and powdered sugar and turn on low to allow to combine.   Taste it and add more sugar if you need to.  This is super easy and you'll never want store bought whip cream again!  Add a bit of cocoa for chocolate whip cream or cinnamon for cinnamon whip cream.  YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I love that it was kid tested and approved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably shouldn't mention that she was in her pajamas because we tried it out and took the pictures after we ate our breakfast this morning!!

    ReplyDelete