Sunday, June 24, 2012

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pizza Dough

This turned out much better than I thought it would.  I was skeptical.  I mean it is really hard to make whole wheat pizza dough without adding in some white flour to make it taste better but I was really pleased with this recipe!  I found this recipe on Give Me Neither.  I modified the ingredients to suit what I was looking for a bit better.  I didn't eat much of this since I'm avoiding dairy but my kids and even my husband really liked this.  I wouldn't make bread sticks out of this dough but with the cheese and sauce it works really well with the whole wheat oatmeal crust.  I will definitely be making this again.

 Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pizza Dough
 
1 1/4 c. water
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 c. whole wheat bread flour
2/3 c. ground old fashioned oats
1/4 c. vital wheat gluten
2 tbsp. honey
3 tsp. yeast

Using warm water (about 110 degrees) put in your yeast and honey and allow to sit while you grind your oats.  In a food processor grind your oats until they are the consistency of flour.  Then switch your food processor blade to the plastic blade and add in the wheat flour, gluten and salt.  With the food processor on slowly add in the water yeast mixture and oil and pulse until it turns into a rough dough ball.  Sprinkle some extra flour on the counter and knead your dough until a ball.  Let rise in a greased bowl for about 2 hours.  Separate the dough into two halves.  Roll out until desired size.  Since this dough is completely whole grain it is a bit more difficult to work with and roll out just be patient.  It also will not rise as much as a normal white dough.  In the meantime, preheat your oven to 500 degrees with a baking stone.  Top your pizza with your desired toppings and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.  You can brush edges with olive oil if you wish as well.  





Now this nutritional information is just for the crust alone if you made 2 large pizzas and cut them into 8 slices (16 total).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION - 157.2 Calories * 2.6 g. Fat * 29.3 g. Carbohydrates * 4.5 g Fiber * 2.3 g. Sugar * 6.5 g. Protein 

No comments:

Post a Comment