Monday, January 30, 2012

Homemade Waffles (Dairy-Free)

I use to have a waffle maker years ago but never used it.  So when we moved to Japan it was one of the things we opted to not bring with us.  Now my daughter is in love with waffles and I don't really care much for the frozen ones at the store, even if they are whole grain.  So I bought a waffle maker and am very happily trying multiple new waffle recipes.  I adapted this recipe from Alton Brown's basic waffle recipe.  It really is great.  It is quick and easy.  I actually managed to wake up 5 minutes earlier than normal this morning to make them for my kids before my daughter went to school.  She was so happy.  I normally don't have time to do that on a school day but these really are that quick!  My husband didn't even realize until I told him these were made with 1/2 whole wheat flour.  I made substitutions to my recipe to make these waffles dairy free but you can use buttermilk in place of the almond milk and regular butter in place of the dairy-free butter substitute I used.  These also freeze great! One of my favorite things to do with these is to mash up a banana or two and add in some chopped pecans, yum!

Basic Waffles

1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. sugar
3 whole eggs, beaten
2 ounces dairy free butter, melted
2 c. almond milk, room temperature
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Vegetable spray, for waffle iron


Preheat the waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.  In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In another bowl beat together eggs and melted butter, and then add the almond milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Ladle the recommended amount of waffle batter onto the iron according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Close iron top and cook until the waffle is golden on both sides and is easily removed from iron. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment