Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Olive Garden Breadsticks

I love Olive Garden's bread sticks.  I mean, who doesn't!  They are awesome.  I get to see Olive Garden commercials on the TV here all the time and it makes me so sad that I can't just run out and have lunch there anytime I want like I use to.  Bread sticks and salad, yum!  So I saw this copy cat recipe on Moms Crazy Cooking and instantly decided that I was making these for dinner.  Granted this was a couple weeks ago but it is my little boy's nap time so I'm trying to catch up on my posts.  These bread sticks were awesome.  No one even cared about the spaghetti I made with them.  Everyone just wanted more bread sticks.  My husband was in love with these and said they are not only just like the Olive Garden's bread sticks but they were better and he wants them more often.  They actually made my poor spaghetti boring because they were so good!   

Olive Garden Bread Sticks

2 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 cup; plus 1 tbsp warm water (105-115 degrees)
3 cups bread flour
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter, softened



Topping:
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. garlic salt

Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the warm water in a small bowl or measuring cup and let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes, or until it becomes foamy on top. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Use the paddle attachment on your stand mixer to mix in the softened butter to the flour. Switch to your dough hook and add your foamy yeast mixture to the flour. Combine ingredients and then knead for 10 minutes. Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover, let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, it will double in size. Once doubled, measure out portions to roll into bread sticks. The easiest way to roll is between your palms but you can also roll on the counter or a cutting board.  Place dough on a parchment lined baking sheet, or non-stick  sprayed baking sheet. Once all dough is rolled, cover baking sheet and let rise for another hour to 1 1/2 hours. Until the dough doubles in size again. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake the bread sticks  for 12-14 minutes till golden brown. Remove from oven and add the garlic salt to the melted butter and then brush it over the bread sticks.

Makes 12-13 bread sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment