Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pumpkin Cookies

I realized this week that I've gone a bit crazy and have about 8 cans of pureed pumpkin in my pantry.  So I decided I needed to find some new pumpkin desserts to make because after Christmas I usually don't make anything with pumpkin again until October of the next year.  I found this recipe at Better Homes & Gardens.  These were so good.  My daughter got to make the frosting and frost the cookies which is the best part for her.  These are very cake like cookies and I prefered mine cold but so yummy!

It seems with my baby girl in school 4 days a week that on the weekends I'm always looking for something fun to do with her.  So I set aside a few recipes for her to help me with and try to find other activities in town for us to do.  This weekend they had a petting zoo here on the base we live on.  The kids really really enjoyed it.  My son (16 months old) really just wanted to chase everything and grab it and poke it so I had to hold on to him.  He only got to pet rabbits while I held his hand and helped him otherwise he tried to hit them.   My daughter on the other hand got to do a pony ride, hold some bunnies and even had a mouse climb up her arm, which of course being a girl she screamed and slung it.   
 Another great week gone and another great week to look forward to.  I really need to start finalizing a Thanksgiving menu and soon!
 

Pumpkin Cookies
1 cups butter, softened
1 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 extra large egg
1 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 can (7 1/2 oz.) pumpkin puree
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Brown Sugar Frosting:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat until combined. Beat in pumpkin. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.

Drop dough by heaping teaspoons 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until tops are set. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.

In a small saucepan, heat butter and brown sugar until melted and smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Spread frosting on cookies. If desired, sprinkle with additional cinnamon. Makes about 30 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment