Sunday, September 18, 2011

Roasted Broccoli w/ Cheese

Since I'm on a broccoli kick I'm trying new broccoli recipes to force my household to eat more of it.  Broccoli is a superfood but try convincing my family of that, they don't seem to care!  Like I mentioned in my Fresh Broccoli Salad recipe, I watched Alton Brown's Good Eats this week and it was on Broccoli.  I've tried two out of the three recipes from that episode so far and absolutely LOVED them.  This one was so good that I ate more broccoli than anything else for dinner that night.  I've roasted broccoli before but never thought to toss in panco breadcrumbs to give it a great texture.  Depending on the amount of cheese you use I consider this a pretty healthy side dish.  

Roasted Broccoli w/ Cheese

1 pound broccoli, rinsed and trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely grated cheese (use your favorite, I use Cheddar)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Cut the broccoli florets into bite size pieces. Cut the stalk into 1/8-inch thick, round slices. Place the broccoli into a mixing bowl and toss with the olive oil, garlic, kosher salt and pepper and set aside.

Spread the panko into a 13 by 9-inch metal pan and place into the oven for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove the panko from the oven and add to the bowl with the broccoli mixture. Toss to combine. Return the mixture to the pan, place in the oven and roast just until the broccoli is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, toss in the cheese and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment