Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bacon Infused Mayonaisse

So I don't do this often but my husband is in heaven when I actually make homemade mayonnaise.  I don't eat or like mayonnaise so this isn't usually high on my list of priorities when making things.  Plus, I find it slightly aggravating having to drip one drop of oil at a time into a food processor.  I like things that I can do quickly and one handed with kids running around, screaming, pulling at my legs, yelling "Uppppppp" and things of that nature.  So having my 1 year old pulling at my leg yelling he wants "Uppppp" while I'm using a liquid measuring cup trying to drop one single drop at a time for a full cup of oil isn't easy.  Not only is it not easy, it takes SOOOO long!  Of course, the look on my husband's face when he takes a bite of a sandwich and realizes the mayonnaise was homemade is worth it, well almost. My little secret trick with this is I used 1/4 c. of bacon grease and 3/4 c. of oil.  It gives it a slight bacon taste to it which I'm told is amazing.       

Bacon Infused Mayonnaise

2 room temp. egg yolks
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 pinches of sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. bacon grease (still warm not solidified)

Add yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, lemon juice and white wine vinegar to food processor.  Combine the bacon grease and vegetable oil.  Add the oil one droplet at a time for about the first ½ c. then add at a slow (SLOW!) stream until thick and creamy.  This must be done very slowly or it won't turn out.  This will keep in fridge for up to 4 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment