Sunday, July 10, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies

      I love chocolate chip cookies.  Who doesn't?  One of the first things I did once we got all of our furniture and I was unable to unpack my kitchen was bake a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies and take them to all my neighbors and introduce myself.  I love baking and love having someone to give whatever I bake to as my husband just can't seem to eat all of what I make.  Guess I get carried away sometimes and make too much.  This is my "go to" chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I love bittersweet chocolate chips in my cookies, I think it just tastes better than semi-sweet.  I like to use a combination of dark chocolate and bittersweet.  I like cakey gooey cookies, not crisp ones so I usually use shortening and baking powder in addition to the baking soda.  However, you could use 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening or all butter.  If you like yours more crispy, omit the baking powder.  


      Chocolate Chip Cookies
       
      2 1/4 c. all-purpose unbleached flour
      1 ½ tsp baking powder
      ½ tsp. baking soda
      1/4 tsp salt
      1 c. shortening
      3/4 c. granulated sugar
      3/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
      1 tsp. vanilla extract
      2 large room temp. eggs
      1 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
1 1/2 c. bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cream shortening and white and brown sugar together until light and fluffy in color, medium speed approximately 4-5 minutes.  Add one egg at a time and vanilla.  In a separate bowl sift flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together.  Add into sugar mixture and beat until just combined.  Add in the chocolate chips.  Spoon onto parchment paper and bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are just golden.  

1 comment:

  1. I love having go-to recipes and knowing that they'll always turn out the best. These look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete