Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Quick Peasant Bread



I made this bread the other night.  I was in the mood for some bread but it was already 1:00 pm and I had to figure out something that would be quick.  I only call it peasant bread because my kids wouldn't give me the time I needed to actually shape the loaf so I did it peasant style, in a big ol' circle.  I figured it was a big loaf you kinda just pass around and rip big hunks off of and eat with your dinner.  Apparently my husband is more of a snob than I thought though because he refused to rip pieces off and got out the bread knife anyways.  It turned out pretty good for a list minute decision of wanting bread.


Of course because I have kids and don't have the time to do everything by hand these days I cheat a bit.  I use my bread machine on the dough cycle and for the first rise. I use a baking stone and will say I think it makes a HUGE difference in the way breads and pizza turns out and definitely think it is worth the investment.  


Recipe:
1 ½ c. water
2 ¼ tsp. yeast
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
4 c. flour
2 tbsp. oil (or butter melted)
(*optional egg wash for shine)

Place on dough cycle of bread machine or mix by hand.  Then place in oiled bowl and let rise another 45 mins.  Punch down and let rise another 45 mins.  Divide into 2 loaves and shape, (*optional - brush with egg wash, which I don't do because I use flour on top to give it extra crunch) and bake on pizza stone for 10 mins on 500 degrees, lower to 400 degrees for another 20-25 minutes.  

2 comments:

  1. No shaping, sounds like the perfect recipe for me! I love your background... welcome to blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good it almost makes me want to cook!!

    ReplyDelete