Sunday, April 24, 2011

Breakfast Casserole

When I was a little girl I remember every weekend, usually on a Saturday, we would get up at 6:00 a.m. and rush to leave the house to go to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  We had to go early because they made this absolutely fantastic breakfast casserole and they sold out of it every single morning.  If you got there after 9:00 a.m. it was gone.  Well I haven't lived in the South in many years now and have learned that if I want the same good old southern cooking that I was use to and loved that I'd have to learn to make it all myself.  This recipe, in my opinion, is just like that Cracker Barrel breakfast casserole I had growing up.  It took me a bit to perfect it and I tell you what, it is delicious and you won't be disappointed!

Mine is a ham and cheese breakfast casserole but you can cater this recipe to whatever you like in it.  I love adding spinach into mine too, though I didn't do that today.  Now the bread part may sound odd, but trust me it works and you don't even really know it is there.  I like to use potato bread but you can use any sort of bread you have on had.  At times I even use a hamburger bun or hot dog bun if that is all I have.  I also use a round dish as shown in the picture.  You can use a square or rectangular one as well but will have to adjust the cooking time for it, I would guess it would take less time than the circular one I use.  Just keep an eye on it and start checking it after 30 minutes.  Wait until it is golden brown and the egg in the center looks cooked completely.   

Breakfast Casserole

8 large eggs
1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 c. colby jack cheese, shredded
1/2 c. diced ham
1/3 c. sour cream
1/3 c. half-n-half
2 pieces of bread
Salt & Pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray.  Tear up your 2 pieces of bread into roughly 1-inch pieces until the bottom of your casserole dish is covered with the bread.  You don't want a thick layer of bread, just enough to barely cover the bottom of your dish.  Now combine the eggs, sour cream and half-n-half in a bowl and whisk until well combined.  Your sour cream will not dissolve completely you are just whisking it enough to get rid of the larger lumps and distribute it throughout the eggs.  Now add in your cheese and ham and again whisk until well combined.  Pour into your casserole dish and bake for 45-50 minutes our until golden brown and the center has set.

Post shared with:

3 comments:

  1. Too bad anything with eggs makes my stomach turn! I will have to give this a try when I am not pregnant, or in a few months if the baby will allow me to eat eggs again! I love breakfast casseroles.

    When are you ever going to turn off the word verification?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I didn't know it was on or that I could turn it off, oops! I just turned it off. Sorry you can't eat eggs but tell me what you are craving and I'll make it for you, well I'll make it for my baby niece or nephew your growing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooOOOooo sounds yummy! My husband and I have Sunday Brunches. I'll have to do this for this next Sunday! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete